Sunday, June 24, 2012

Croakin' to be Known

the Singing Frog 
live in Concert 4/11/2027 

Intro 

I’m halfway there. 

The worst that I could do to a bunch of growing kids is tell them that I’m halfway there. And I just said that. I’m not quite there, actually, but I’m soon going to be and it’s all I can think about right now. 

Any moment now the bell would toll and I would go on my halftime break.

“Am I in the lead?” I ask myself. 
“Does it matter?” I respond. 

There’s peace and there’s quiet. I’ve grown a beard and I’ve shaved it too. I’ve found my inner Dylan and made peace with him, if that’s even possible. I think life can’t get any more conclusive. 

You know you’re growing old when you write your autobiography. I am growing old.

(starts harmonica/guitar-strum. Song begins) 

a Blackboard for a worldview, striving to be clean, 
sign your name on the pamphlet, sir, 
and take one for the team; 
fighting with them crocodiles, an angel on the phone, 
describes a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

he started like a paragraph and broke it down to verse, 
a Song for you, sweet lady, and another song for her; 
“where’s the fun in that?” she said, 
he tried to tell a joke 
that described a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

his Humour on a mission, his anger not announced, 
with every word he uttered 
he was told to watch his mouth; 
a hundred ways to freedom, now, the road is not your own, 
describes a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

paint some Stars, paint some Stripes, get the lines to blur, 
concoct some broken images, 
put some powder and then stir; 
a minute on the pedestal you’ve been dreaming all along, 
to describe a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

“a Thousand!” called the Auctioneer, 
Ten thousand, and he sells, 
a time when but a hundred would do him fairly well; 
sometimes you’ve got to lose it all to find what’s going on, 
to fight a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

so He sat himself with children, with a paper and a frown, 
he saw their world, polluted, that he vowed to turn around; 
he got some war-paint, put some on 
and he sang a protest song 
to reprise a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

the Frog brought him fame that the Frog took away, 
and the summer stole his silverware 
that returned in silver rain; 
what’s the point in worrying when there’s no point at all? 
describes a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

and Yesterday was calling back, asking for a smoke, 
he blew some on her bitterness 
and threw her out the door; 
Today, he bought a building with a basement and a floor, 
and inside, a life invested in Croaking to be Known 

Croaking to be known, Croaking to be known, 
a life alive, a life aloud, a life – rest-assured; 
of juggling faces with a hat out 
for the coins you get thrown, 
describes a life invested in Croaking to be known 

my heart would turn her sullen, 
a rhyme would drive her out, 
but everything I seem to need, I seem to need it now; 
“ever struggle, never quit – go easy on the show,” 
describes a life invested in Croaking to be known 

Outro 

All proceeds go to the hunger foundation back home. 

It means you’re paying for my food. 

Be generous. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment