Thursday, July 1, 2010

SUMMER

‘Summer’ is one of those things that kind of always stay on a to-do list, or well at least my ‘to do’ list, and it’s a huge kind of feeling now that I’ve taken it off of there, you know. Now it’s like just ‘Warcry’ that’s sitting there as much as ‘My Book of Rhymes’ is concerned, and I’m still kidding myself about how I’m waiting for magnificence. Well, maybe I am, I don’t know.

It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while, yeah (having established that enough already) but now that it’s done, I don’t feel like it’s the same thing that I had in mind, or rather it is NOT the same thing that I had in mind when I thought I’d write something called ‘Summer’ in the first place, let me put the scenario it was decided on, in the first place. Tom Hansen walks out of Summer Finn’s house, destroyed, devastated, totally at a loss with Regina Spektor singing “I’m the Hero if this story, I don’t need to be saved”, and the moment was like wow, it’s one of the rare songs that perfectly fit a situation and not vice-versa, very movie-made at that. And the only reason I’m stating these things is to state the obvious, you know, show how different the ‘final cut’ is from the first sketch, and I’m sorry if I’m juggling bowling balls here, specially with chicken arms.

“Fire smiles on frozen eyes,
trying to keep your noses dry,
with bodies bare
and closets stacked,
the warmest heart I ever had;

still, living with a half of me,
with twice as much as what I need.”

The lyric was intended to be a sort of ‘Do you know me?’ rhythm, very repetitive and I actually spent a few nights of hitting myself up with ‘Hummingbird’ (from his ‘As/Is’ volumes) and the most I got out of those were mornings of humming the same, nothing more. ‘Summer’ turned out to be pretty much the poem, but then I consoled myself by looking at David Gray and Laura Marling, poets with a guitar (or a piano), you know.

“Fashion falls with winter brand,
the smile of fate in underpants;
in rainbow streams and wavy hair,
selling signs of ‘In Repair’…”

I don’t know what it’s called in non-layman terms, but I’d call it some sort of duality, an omnipresence in two or something like that. ‘Summer’ is a girl and a season (not a ‘girl for the season’ or something as horrid) and ‘Summer’ is for a girl, probably self-instructive as much as preachy, but I liked that. The ‘girl’ part, I mean. Discussing glory days through the ‘Summer’ metaphor and addressing gloom and loneliness with the whole theme of it all. I don’t drop names, she’d ‘know it, when she sees this’ (insert ‘Love song for no one’ ambience over here).

“So what, so what if time can stop,
so what if it’s the leeward side?
So what, so what if leaves don’t fall
in autumn twist to autumn shine?

So what if you can’t move a thing?
Cheer up, it’s still Summer time…”

I know I’ve used a hell lot of ‘time’ over here, I’m kind of worried this could entirely replicate my ‘Night-time’ of the distant past, but seriously… Cheer up, you know. It’s Summer time, let her shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment