Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A THOUSAND MILES

Not exactly a forced thought, for I found myself to be duty-bound. It’s something I’ve wanted to write for long, but postponed because it’s kind of inside my head anyway, but I wanted it out this time because you know, it’s been a while. I can’t be entirely honest about this, I’ve specifications.

A hundred feet on bumpy road,
walking through the doors I know;
a weary pair of shoes I tuned
to turn towards the world that’s you

I’ve been running all my life,
to one without my oldest find;
with scarcities and second thoughts,
in times without your rocket-launch

A thousand miles, my target set,
staring at the road ahead;
if only I could last the night,
I’d stumble through the whole divide

Dazed as the morning finds,
the outcome of a storm in gloom;
with yellow paint on winter white,
and blackness caught on shades of blue

It’s alright, I have half a heart
and half a hand in half this war;
but what with half the world alive,
biding time for half the strike?

And then you slice my night to two,
a complementary split of mood;
my sleet gets gagged by fire-power,
and smoke that fogs a perfect shot

A part of feet and taking wind,
needles of rain sent streaming in;
trembling on the picture-frame,
half-forsaken, half-afraid…

I walked, I ran, I sighed, I flew,
or at least I dreamt of what I’d do;
so rest a little, wait a while
and I’ll see you in a thousand miles

EPILOGUE

Freedom takes a walk out there,
returning without clothes to spare;
chasing fleas in running shoes,
apple-crazy, whole or bruised…

How much can this calf withstand,
inside the chest of half a man?
And a lesser sense that creeps inside
that a thousand miles isn’t worth my time

Taxi drives, her smile, her talk,
her nose, her hair, her crazy walk;
a thousand miles ahead, as said,
and the blanket finally found my head…

To ‘You’. And sorry about the hiatus, it implied nothing but the fact that there was a hiatus, like a hiatus for hiatus’ sake, nothing more to explain.

1 comment: